Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Kitale, we have arrived!

Hello everybody!

Week one down with three more to go here in Kitale, Kenya J I can honestly say what a wonderful blessing it has been to be able to share this experience with three great girls and the Daughters of Charity.  After landing in Nairobi, it was about an 8 hour drive all the way to Kitale where we were able to stop at the Equator.  After arriving in Kitale, we got settled in our new house.  Not what many people would picture when thinking “Africa,” I have my own room with a bathroom and a canopy!  Everyone told me I was basically going to melt here as well… but I have to admit that because of “rainy season” it’s pretty hot during the day and then freezing (for me) at night…I’m talking I sleep with 3 blankets, socks, sweats & a hoodie but then I wake up and I’m boiling again.  It rains pretty much every afternoon even if it’s just for a half an hour around 4-5pm every day and then starts to get cooler.  Our first couple of days were spent getting accustomed to the 7 hour time difference (from NYC) which I admit has been the most difficult part for me but what the hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!
            Saturday, as we helped prepare for a Parish opening the following day we got to take a two hour walk around our little town of Matisi & Kitale and went grocery shopping (more details on this adventure to come).
            Sunday, we got to be a part of witness our first true Kenyan/Catholic/Vincentian Parish opening, which ended up being around 5+ hours and normally I would be dying but I was surprisingly delighted by how they choose to celebrate.  I think it took soo much time because there was soo much singing and dancing involved and being the theater geek that I am…music & dancing was just the fix I needed.  The Bishop was in attendance and we witnessed a 200+ person Confirmation as well as two offerings that included 3 goats/sheep and two chickens along with other fruits, vegetables, and money.  I couldn’t help but to compare it to Mass celebrations in the United States and wonder how much more involved people would be if it Mass felt more like a celebration than an obligation…  It was refreshing to be among over 500 people who were genuinely happy to spend 2, 5, or even 7 hours there rather than some who count down the minutes in a 45 min Mass.  I mean I know in the States and especially in NYC, time is money, but people, including myself, forget how Sundays are all about relaxing and enjoying time  with loved ones.  Overall, I was happy to be able to immerse myself in their culture and not just be a typical “tourist” in a foreign land.
              We then prepared for camp which started yesterday.  I honestly have never really dealt with kids before this trip since I’m an only child with no cousins in the States, so I was a bit overwhelmed with what was to come.  I know my patience runs low so I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to put up with all those screaming kids plus the heat!?!? No way!  Working at my country club, I’ve had to babysit and entertain before and I could barely handle 5 kids let alone 80 per session, but as we got their t-shirts ready I got more and more excited. I always knew I was brought here for a reason.
                Camp Nyota, meaning Morning Star, is separated into three sections: Enrichment, Arts & Crafts, & Sports.  There are four of us, but because this is Emily’s third time she decided to be a floater and help out whichever one of us was in most need.  I immediately challenged myself and signed myself up to lead the Sports part of the program.  I used to be super active back in the day but you know how that gets as you get older and I figured well the kids are going to be at their highest energy while being outside and monkeying around so why not just go all in.  Go big or go home.  During the morning session 9am-12:30pm we get to hang out with kids ages 6-8 and in the afternoon session 2pm-5pm we get to hang out with kids ages 9-12 and although it’s the second day I can’t believe the difference between kids here and kids in America.  Yes, every kid has energy and you always have your super shy ones or the ones that cause you extra headaches but these are probably the most well behaved kids I have ever seen in my life.  I get to take care of about 25 kids at a time along with the help of my amazing Kenyan friends, Emmanuel and Sammy.  We’ve played Soccer and Volleyball along with having Relay Races, and the Kenyan version of Duck Duck Goose and their own games that the helpers have introduced us to.  But honestly, when a kid is getting too rough or they start to fight if you tell them once to stop it, they completely stop and don’t do it again.  I am seriously shocked! They play well together and genuinely enjoy their time here.  I really really wish I could speak and understand Swahili just so I could get a glimpse of what they’re actually thinking but actions do speak louder than words… and what I get from that is that they’re genuinely SUPER HAPPY, ANIMATED, & ENTHUSIATIC every single minute of every single day and don’t wish to be anywhere else but at Camp Nyota.  Sadly camp will eventually have to come to an end and I know they will always keep the great memories of camp Nyota in their hearts and minds.

Sorry for the long post, but it’s been an eventful first week.  I can’t wait to see what else Kenya, my teammates, and the kids have in store for me but I will definitely update soon.

Melanie :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your Mass experience. So much of the richness of our faith is found outside of what we're used to in the states. I hope you bring back some of the same enthusiasm for Mass and share it with your friends and family at home.
    How cool to push yourself beyond your comfort zone and have such a great time with the kids. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete